Drawings from the collection of František Jureček
The Ostrava building contractor František Jureček (1868–1925) was an enthusiastic art collector as well as an active supporter of the construction of a new art gallery in the city. Unfortunately, he did not live long enough to witness the opening of the gallery on 13 May 1926. However, several months before his death he dedicated his art collection (consisting of 122 items) to the House of Art Society. Besides a number of oil paintings (dating from the 18th to the 20th century) and two sculptural works, the majority of the collection consisted of Czech drawings, mainly from the 19th century. We would like to present some of these drawings to you as part of our commemorations of 95 years since the opening of the House of Art. We would also like to commemorate František Jureček’s generosity in donating his collection – an act which laid the foundations for the gallery’s collection.
Online Guided tour is on Facebooku and YouTube GVUO.
Max Švabinský, Felix Jenewein, Quido Mánes, Luděk Marold, Hanuš Schwaiger, Mikoláš Aleš, Václav Brožík, Emanuel Krescenc Liška, Karel Špillar, Bohumír Jaroněk, František Ondrúšek, Louis Gallait
Exhibition concept: Gabriela Pelikánová
Texts: Gabriela Pelikánová
Translation: Christopher Hopkinson
Graphic design: Katarína Jamrišková
Promotion: Jana Malášek Šrubařová, Magdaléna Staňková
Admission to the exhibition is free of charge